November 28, 2008

finding rest in chores

For some, it is knitting. Others cross stitch. I like walking but the equivalent to knitting and cross stitch for me is not walking but washing clothes. Yes, doing the laundry. That is, manually (though I use machine depending on size and cloth). I like doing it, something Embee has not grasped yet after 11 years. He still steals the dirty clothes and bring them to a laundry shop every now and then.

Washing clothes braces my mind in neutral. It simmers pungent feelings and evaporates unwanted anxieties. Concentrating on the task at hand, I feel all other thoughts are swept away. Even when we had househelp before, I didn't mind helping her sometimes. Two people washing can have a very good conversation without adversely affecting results.























As passionate as I am with washing though, I dislike ironing and re- attaching buttons ( never mind asking about looking for them or shopping for their look alikes). For the latter, glues are preventive. Thus the occasional arranging of clothes on the table for gluing.

Can I try putting that?, he says.

He did.

Oh, that is too much.














yes.


There is rest (& domestic joy) in chores, though ordinary.
For me and some others, the laundry.



(and rhymes).

5 comments:

Dennis Villegas said...

I think that your husband is very lucky to have you...you are wise in many ways.

turtle said...

thanks a lot for the commendation.
Marriage certainly needs efforts...and one is happy in the process of doing.

turtle said...

P.S. I have a lot of flaws though.

Layrayski said...

who doesn't? (my reply to your comment above.


Hehehe sometimes I like washing my clothes, most of the time I don't. This is just like my sudden attack of domesticity lately which is kinda weird, but I'm getting used to my quirkiness (heeheehe!)

I love the last photo. So dramatic (yet funny at the same time).

turtle said...

thanks Lay.