November 20, 2008

look up, young man, look up

Driving in Manila is not for the faint-hearted. and i am faint. therefore I don't drive. Perhaps reading Xrays of vehicular accident patients has dampened my little if any desire to learn.

But being a passenger sometimes requires a wooden heart too. When Embee drives and I am in front passenger seat, I try to be calm when I get overwhelmed by buses by either closing my eyes or putting my hands on my lap with my palms up (you can imagine fear can get so funny). If I hold on something, I get so tired after so 'palms up' saves my energy.

But when Embee's schedule and mine are not congruent, I commute (by bus, by jeepney or by tricycle), or just walk. From inside a tricycle, all others become giant. The bus is like a moving mountain.

There is a cure ("attention rival" to it) though. "Look up, young man, look up" or something like that were written big on a wall of FEATI University facing the street. I dont know if it is still there. More than a decade ago, I used to pass by the place when I lived in Taft.

Well, I looked up. ah...East Avenue looks good from below. I just discovered a camera-capturable cure for bus-induced overwhelming fear.

Green and sky
Green and sky.





















4 comments:

Mariecel said...

I have visited the Philippines only once when I was nine years old and boy, was I scared in the car! It was the only time I have ever heard my mother swear out loud. LOL!

turtle said...

Thanks for comments, Mariecel.
Philippines still the same.

Layrayski said...

I enjoyed the ride, thanks =)being a passenger really shows my fatalistic attitude to its full glory. I leave my life up to the driver and I don't worry. Hehehe

turtle said...

Buti ka pa, me takot. Hadlokan.