November 25, 2008

Of mentors, gratitude and withering

Bumped into a previous mentor. When he was my angiography consultant, he was probably just a little more than my age now. With him this morning were his wife and son. The son is likely my age when I was his father's student. Life is fast. Really fast. I felt I was finding another way to calculate time in unexpected circumstances. Years ago, his son was just starting med school, now he is nearly finished with residency. I could palpate myself aging. How come Sir looked so much the same? His wife though has changed. She looks younger. I didn't even recognize at first.

Seriously, we all wither. But gratitude does not change. He was one of those who never let anyone down.




















Later, post walking meal in a chinese restaurant, with two other walkers, reminded me
chickens wither faster.



4 comments:

Gita Asuncion said...

uy joy! sinong nakita mo? how is he? basta may pinagkatandaan, it is okay to grow old diba. basta gracefully and wisely... ;-)

turtle said...

Si Dr Iggy Gitz. Ganun pa rin siya, di tumanda. Ako lang feeling tumanda kasi his son, noon med student pa, ngayon resident na rin 3rd year.
Feeling ko tanda ko na. Yes, growing old gracefully. Actually me, gusto ko na mga 55 na ako. Looking forward to that age. hehehe.

Dennis Villegas said...

Your prof must be really good for you to remember him that way...

the parallel with chickens is funny but true ;)

turtle said...

To Dennis: Yes, he was.