December 6, 2008

the humble tricycle, and its driver.

It is like a tiny mouse that eases its way through narrow paths. Let's just say: it is like a red blood cell delivering oxygen to the most distal parts of the toes. Ok, that's better. Anyway, I mean the tricycle is small but rarely says no to your requests. Lithe.




















The tricycle driver knows his territory. He knows which houses are in the
corners or midway. He memorizes their numbers like house #34 is nearer this corner than that or #33 is at the dead end. He knows which houses are on a segment of the road that slopes. He tells you that there is no such address but will accompany you trying to find it. So when you find it difficult looking for a street or a house, hire a TODA (Tricycle Operators and Drivers Association) member and drive behind him.
























Of course, the tricycle is dwarfed by a lot of other vehicles and when maneuvering an intersection with all the other vehicles, it is not one with competitive momentum. Add, some irresponsible drivers don't respect traffic laws (just like bus and privates though.
I said "some", Embee. LOL ). I feel vulnerable. Nevertheless, I like tricycles.

When I was younger, I remember riding in tricycles to more remote places in our town. Not appreciating it, I wished for better transport than the humble tricycle. I have come full circle and treasure the transport from which I wished for more. In fact when there are problems in parking, I
like it better than Embee's Isuzu. After dropping me, the tricycle just disappears.

In the future, there may not be a tricycle anymore (I hope there will be a way to convert it to "greener" models). Meanwhile, let the driver's wisdom make our day:


















He also wishes us well.

















and is artistic.




5 comments:

Sidney said...

I can hardly imagine the Philippines without tricycles or jeepneys...

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

One of a kind post. I love the write up. Parang short article na pang-publish sa magazine.
Wish I can visit here more often. Kaso lang limitado akong Internet connection diri karon sa Cotabato :)

turtle said...

thanks Sid and Dong

Anonymous said...

Jeepneys have more anecdotes plastered all over their interior. Some are good, some are hilarious. I can never forget this quote: "Full the string to be stopped."

:-D

turtle said...

hahaha!!! thanks for sharing that.